[debops] Philosophical design usage of debops

Hendrik Visage hvjunk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 02:08:28 CEST 2015

Hi Maciej,

Thanks, see below :)

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 12:27 AM, Maciej Delmanowski <drybjed at drybjed.net> wrote:
> On Sep 05, Hendrik Visage wrote:
>> Hi there,
>
> Hello and welcome on the list.
>
>> Questions:
>> 1) how can I disable ie. all email sending (in my cases, I'll have a
>> different HTTPS based server reporting so no emails to be send out)?
>
> If you want to disable Postfix (default SMTP server) in the main DebOps
> playbook completely, you can set 'postfix: False' in the Ansible inventory.
> For example, to disable it by default on all hosts, create file
> 'ansible/inventory/group_vars/all/postfix.yml' and inside put:
>
>     ---
>     postfix: False

Could you perhaps add (or point me to) the list of those variables to
enable/disable the various options?

> This will tell the 'debops.postfix' role to not configure itself.
<snip>
> To summarize - I suggest that you should leave Postfix set up as is, you will
> probably end up with an SMTP server sooner rather than later, and it's better
> if it's under control.

Noted, perhaps part of that list to "Warn" ;)

>> 2) When I need to add extra and custom roles, what is the "debops way"
>> of integrating them?
>
> DebOps operates in context of the "project directories", each such directory

ta!

>> Sorry to ask the newbie questions <blush>
>
> No problem. I realize that the project documentation is still lacking,

I'll highlight those as I get to them... will need to do docs too :(
Perhaps an authenticated etherpad to add things as I work with them
would help to add as I work and then to show what needs to be
documented further?